Believed to be an effective remedy for anxiety, addiction, sleep disorders, and other medical issues, CBD or cannabidiol has fueled a billion dollar sector seemingly overnight. In most American states, the once-contentious remedy is being blended into lattes, baked into muffins, and gummy bears.
Although there is no scarcity of CBD Edibles and supplements on the market, there is a deficit of reliable information about how CBD works and most importantly, its benefits. This article will try to provide an authoritative overview on CBD and all the benefits it provides.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD is one of the 100 + different compounds found in the cannabis plant. Apparently, these chemical compounds, referred to as “cannabinoids”, react with an important system in the body known as the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The reaction is believed to play a vital role in psychological functions like pain, mood, sleep, and appetite.
Perhaps, the most popular cannabinoid compound is THC. THC is known to have psychoactive effects or “high feeling” to its users. However, unlike THC, CBD does not get you high. Instead, CBD help promotes healthy sleep, relaxation, and pain relief.
Although CBD can be synthetically manufactured, it is easily and naturally found in industrial hemp. Producers use various extraction methods to separate and derive CBD oil from hemp. The oil is tested for cannabidiol content and then subjected to a heating process referred to as decarboxylation, which allows the CBD to react more effectively with the body.
Industrial hemp contains significant amounts of natural CBD but slight amounts (less than 3%) of the intoxicating THC. Apparently, in the U.S., there are 2 main categories of hemp-derived CBD oil products available:
- Whole plant or full spectrum CBD – When CBD oil is described as a whole plant or full spectrum, the product contains a ton of other cannabinoids. They may include slight amounts of THC, along with tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) and cannabinol (CBN). Some studies have demonstrated that whole plant CBD may be more effective due to its synergistic reactions with other elements.
- Crystalline isolate – This form of oil has been carefully purified to get rid of THC and all other compounds. Meaning, only CBD is present.
CBD benefits and uses
After decades of condemnation, CBD now is being researched and appreciated all over the world. Thanks to the already conducted studies, scientists have proven that CBD can be used to remedy numerous mental and physical ailments.
Specifically, scientists have found CBD may be ideal in treating the following physical conditions:
- Heart disease. A growing body of research shows that CBD can help manage heart conditions and strengthen the cardiovascular system by shielding it against inflammation and other illnesses.
- Cancer. After neglecting cannabinoids like THC for the fear of unnecessary psychoactive effects, some researchers are becoming more and more interested in the non-intoxicating CBD as a potential anti-cancer medication. Recent studies have found that CBD can deter the spread of cancer and trigger the death of cancer cells.
- Glaucoma. Researchers have ascertained that CBD could be used as a topical remedy to treat glaucoma. Apparently, CBD and other cannabinoids are known to shield neuron cultures from glutamate-induced death.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Research has identified CBD as a valuable remedy for Irritable Bowel Syndrome because of its ability to control the critical neuroimmune system, a set-up of networks connecting the immune system, gut microbes and central nervous system (CNS).
- Acne. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, CBD has been incorporated in lotions, creams and other skin care products to treat acne.
- Seizures and epilepsy. Researchers have become very interested in CBD as a remedy for epilepsy and seizures, especially in children, thanks to its anticonvulsant properties.
- Chronic pain. CBD has shown to help alleviate pain and inflammation in people suffering from chronic pain conditions, including multiple sclerosis and arthritis.
Besides treating physical conditions, research has shown that CBD Edible can be valuable in treating the following mental conditions:
- Sleep disorders including insomnia
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Stress and other emotional behaviors
Touted for a range of health benefits, CBD is available in the market, inform of edibles, vape oils, tinctures, and topicals. If you are considering getting some CBD, it is advisable to consult a physician to determine the most suitable form of CBD for your condition. All the best as you try this amazing product!